This help topic explains how to add new users and edit existing users. It also explains how to assign permissions for users (controlling what functionality they can use in your site) and how to anonymise/redact and delete users for data protection purposes.
Note that this help topic applies to individual user accounts; for bulk account changes, see the relevant help topic.
How to add new users
- Log in as a Library Admin user.
- Click on the Library Admin menu, then Users.
- Under Users Admin, click Add New User. This opens the Add New Library User screen, as below.
- Note that you must enter first and last names, an email address, username and password. Everything else is optional. You may enter a user barcode here if you have pre-existing barcodes (e.g. on swipe cards), but they are not required or generated by the system.
- Although the password field isn’t empty when you create a new user, you should delete the pre-existing (disguised) password and enter your own. This is the password the new user will have to enter when they log in.
- The user’s location and department will be set to your system default; use the Department and Location drop-down menus to change this if necessary (as below).
- Use the Expiry Date field to set a date after which this user account will cease being ‘Live’, preventing system access and hiding (but not deleting) the account (you may also do this at any time using the Is Live? tickbox).
- Un-tick Can Self Loan to prevent this user from self-loaning (if self-loaning is enabled in your settings).
- To change a new user’s access rights, click on the Roles tab (as below) and tick the required boxes. By default, the system will assign OPAC User permissions to all newly created users so they will not have access to any admin functions.
- Note that most permission groups grant access to oversee individual parts of the system, but System Admins have access to everything including configuration options.
- To categorise the user, click on the Groups tab (as below) and select from the drop-down menus as required. Note that this is also entirely optional.
- Click Save (on any tab) when finished. The system will prompt you if you have missed any required fields.
How to edit/maintain, anonymise, and delete existing users
- Click on the Library Admin menu, then click Users.
- Under Users Admin, click Edit Library User. This opens the initial Edit Library User Details screen, as below.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the required library user. You may also start typing part of the user’s name in order to filter the list.
- Selecting a user opens the full Edit Library User Details screen, as below.
- To change user details, type in the relevant fields as when setting up a new user.
- Note that there is an additional Delete Options menu available when editing existing users (as below), with the following options:
- Move to Trash (Recycle) Bin: delete this user, but with the option of restoring them from the Recycle Bin later.
- To access the Recycle Bin, click Library Admin, then Users, then Deleted Users (Recycle Bin).
- Anonymise (Redact): removes all data that could be used to personally identify this user. Any required fields (e.g. username) are filled with random character strings. Useful for complying with data protection regulations while e.g. maintaining book loan history in the system. Note that this is irreversible.
- Permanently Delete: permanently and irreversibly delete this user and associated records, such as loan history.
- Click Save Changes to finish.